Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pan Fried Chicken with Brown Butter Caper Sauce

I am so behind on posting new recipes.  Several people have fussed at me for this, so today I'm going to try to play catch up.  :)

Now that I'm at home during the day, one show I'm enjoying watching is The Chew.  This is the first and only recipe I've tried from them, but I hope to try more down the road.  This recipe is really easy and very good.

Ingredients:
  • 4 Chicken Cutlets (pounded thin) *I just buy the thin chicken breast cutlets and skip the pounding part
  • 2 cups Flour *I use Organic White/Wheat Flour or Brown Rice Flour
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 cups Breadcrumbs
  • 5 tablespoons Olive Oil (separated) *I often use Coconut Oil
  • 4 tablespoons Butter *Try to use real butter if at all possible
  • 4 teaspoons Capers (drained)
  • 1/4 cup Flat-Leaf Parsley (chopped) *I leave this out since I never have fresh parsley on hand
  • 2 Blood Oranges (peeled) *If you can't find blood oranges, regular oranges work just as well
  • 1 tablespoon Shallot (minced)
Directions:
  1. Juice one of the blood oranges and set juice aside. Peel the white pith off the other blood orange, and then cut between the membranes to release the segments, and set aside.
  2. Arrange three shallow dishes: in one - flour, seasoned with salt and pepper. In the second dish, lightly beat the eggs. In the third, add the breadcrumbs.
  3. Dredge the chicken cutlets lightly on each side in the flour, then eggs, then the breadcrumbs.  
  4. Heat four tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add each of the chicken cutlets, cooking for 4 minutes per side, until golden brown and juices run clear. Remove to paper towel lined, plate. Drain the pan and wipe clean. 
  5. Add the butter, and once it has foamed and subsided, add the capers, shallot and blood orange juice, stir and remove from heat.  
  6. In a bowl, combine the parsley, one tablespoon of olive oil and blood orange segments. Toss and season. 
  7. Spoon the sauce over the chicken cutlets, and top with the orange-parsley salad to serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment