Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Blueberry Lemon Cookies

These cookies are SOOO good!  Walter and I hit up a sale on blueberries at Whole Foods last week, and I knew I wanted to make a dessert using our yummy berries.  These cookies are so light and very easy to make.  I ended up adding a couple of ingredients not listed in the original recipe, so I guess you could say this is my blueberry cookie recipe.  This is the first time I've altered a baking recipe, and I'm quite proud of how it turned out.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour *I used Organic White/Wheat Flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter *Use real butter if possible
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup white sugar *I used Organic Cane Sugar.  I did find the cookies to be a little sweet, so I may reduce this to 1/2 cup next time. 
  • 1 cup fresh (or frozen & thawed) blueberries. (Fresh is best if you have them)
Directions:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and milk. Add the lemon zest. Mix well after the addition of each ingredient. 
  2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; blend into the sugar mixture. 
  3. Fold in the blueberries. Cover and chill for 4 hours (I only chilled mine for an hour and they turned out just fine).
  4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 
  5. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls (I used a cookie scoop) onto ungreased cookie sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
  6. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment